I mentioned recently that I had finally managed to thread the Sergebeast, and even make a maxi skirt with it, but my stitches certainly didn’t look pretty.
Today I sat down with the sole purpose of learning to adjust the tension. That was two hours ago. I finally got to the point where the stitches looked pretty, and in my false confidence I decided to try the 3-thread stitch instead of the 4-thread I just figured out.
At some point, I learned that the presser foot does indeed come up with a lever similar to that on my regular machine. I never put it back down.
I proceeded to spend an hour yelling at the Sergebeast for being impossible and stupid for not executing what should have been an easier stitch. I rethread the machine, change the tension, played with dials that I had absolutely no idea the purpose of, but no dice. I decided to change thread and go back to four cones, but that wouldn’t work either! You’ve got to be kidding, that just worked for me an hour ago!
Then I sat there and stared the Sergebeast down, and the Sergebeast stared right back and winked. Stupid presser foot.
All is well now, as long as I stop touching it.. I wrote down the tension numbers that work, and I won’t be making any adjustments unless I need to serge something like cotton. For now I am using knits so I think I will stop poking the monster in the eye.